Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?
From: Randy <randy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:54:41 -0400
I routinely bust through concrete slabs with a 16 lb. sledgehammer, and
fairly quickly, too. Usually.
The big "but" is that if the concrete is thicker than typical, ~5-6",
the hammer will bounce. Literally bounce
off of the concrete. I can usually tell that I'm going to give up very
soon, by about the fourth whack.
If that's the case, it's time for somebody else to come in with a
jackhammer or chipping hammer.
Six inches is really stretching it, but I have broken through even
thicker. The key thing to remember is that,
in these cases, there is either dirt beyond the slab, or maybe nothing
at all if there's been a water leak,
which is why I'm there busting up the slab in the first place (I locate
underground plumbing leaks for a
living).

That guy eventually got out, in the Shawshank Redemption, with only a
rock hammer, but it took
about 20 years.

73,
Randy