Re: [TowerTalk] Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
Jim Lux wrote:

On 11/2/11 7:55 PM, Bryan WA7PRC wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> In the trades, the tool is referred to as a
>> "demolition hammer".  They are offered in
>> various weights... 45#, 60#, 90#.  Years ago,
>> I had a 6'x9' concrete slab I needed to
>> replace.  It was around 8" thick, and I rented
>> a 60# electric demo hammer.  It took a few one
>> hour sessions to get it done (it vibrated the
>> bejesus out of your wrists and forearms).
>> It won't make much difference what the mix was.
>> I'm guessing you should have it done in a half
>> hour or so.

> Demo'ing a slab and a big block are VERY different.
> With a slab, once you get it cracking, it's easy
> to propagate the cracks and keep chunks coming off.
> But breaking up something like a 3 foot diameter
> lump is a LOT harder.
>
> Zapping out an old patio is the work of less than
> a day (at least for the breaking it up part..
> hauling away the residue in a wheel barrow, etc.
> takes almost as long, if not longer).

I previously busted up a concrete block (about 1/2 cu yd) also using a 60#
demolition hammer.  Doing so was no more difficult than breaking up the 8"
thick slab.  The slab wasn't a patio and wasn't hauled away in a wheel barrow.
The chunks needed to be moved UP a couple of stairs; I hired a couple of
neighborhood kids to do that.  They had it moved in less than half the time it
took to break up the slab.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC