Re: [TowerTalk] Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 17:58:07 -0400
Have you thought about just digging a hole next to the base a bit bigger
and a foot or two deeper than the anticipated height of the base.  Push the
base into it and then fill in the hole where the base was with the dug out
dirt.  Had this done to "remove" a free standing tower base made from two
cubic feet of concrete.  A backhoe was used and took less than four hours
(minimum charge time for backhoe and operator).

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jim Lux wrote:
>
> On 11/2/11 7:55 PM, Bryan WA7PRC wrote:
> >> Hi Rob,
> >>
> >> In the trades, the tool is referred to as a
> >> "demolition hammer".  They are offered in
> >> various weights... 45#, 60#, 90#.  Years ago,
> >> I had a 6'x9' concrete slab I needed to
> >> replace.  It was around 8" thick, and I rented
> >> a 60# electric demo hammer.  It took a few one
> >> hour sessions to get it done (it vibrated the
> >> bejesus out of your wrists and forearms).
> >> It won't make much difference what the mix was.
> >> I'm guessing you should have it done in a half
> >> hour or so.
>
> > Demo'ing a slab and a big block are VERY different.
> > With a slab, once you get it cracking, it's easy
> > to propagate the cracks and keep chunks coming off.
> > But breaking up something like a 3 foot diameter
> > lump is a LOT harder.
> >
> > Zapping out an old patio is the work of less than
> > a day (at least for the breaking it up part..
> > hauling away the residue in a wheel barrow, etc.
> > takes almost as long, if not longer).
>
> I previously busted up a concrete block (about 1/2 cu yd) also using a 60#
> demolition hammer.  Doing so was no more difficult than breaking up the 8"
> thick slab.  The slab wasn't a patio and wasn't hauled away in a wheel
> barrow.  The chunks needed to be moved UP a couple of stairs; I hired a
> couple of neighborhood kids to do that.  They had it moved in less than
> half the time it took to break up the slab.
>
> vy 73,
> Bryan WA7PRC

   Mike, K4GMH