Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning mast?

To: grants2@pacbell.net, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning mast?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:58:50 -0500 (EST)
Don't take this as a recommendation but rather as a data point: I have had
great success with pinning masts using 4 X 3/8" grade 8 bolts. Two pinning
holes  are drilled completely through the mast to size for a 3/8" coarse
threaded tap.  Then the four holes are tapped as far as the tap will go. Some
of them tap  completely through a 3" mast. The four bolt lengths are about
half the mast  diameter and are screwed into the threaded holes and torqed as
tight as possible  with a standard end wrench.

The mast adapter fits inside the mast and is made of solid material. The
fit is pretty close, maybe a couple .001" clearance. The wind loads fall
between  30 and 200 sq ft for the eme antennas. So far, there have been no
failures,  thank goodness! The 200 sq ft antenna has been in service since 1992
and the  others from 1999 and 2011.

This is a non reversible procedure. The 2011 antenna (32ft dish for 70cm)
uses a recycled mast and rotator from a previous antenna. I had to cut the
mast  at the rotator and have the remaining material machined off to reuse
it. Stuck  like glue as they say. The rotators are all homebrew worm drive
designs and  quite large/heavy, but that is another story.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/7/2011 10:25:35 P.M. Central Standard Time,