Re: [TowerTalk] Step IRs

To: Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Step IRs
From: David Fuller <nn5k.mail@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:46:05 -0700
Took about 4 years for my 2 ele to fail.
The plastic mounts for the motors and gear bushings got hot and got
discolored.   They cracked which then allowed the cogs to miss the copper
tape and the motors would move without moving the tape.
It is fixable but I'm probably never going to put up a SteppIR again on my
main tower.   My long term plan is to make my tower rotate and put a stack
of monoband M2 antennas on the tower.

I have had the M2 4 ele 40MLLDD up in a nasty windy cold mean environ since
2005 and the thing is still perfect.

-Dave NN5K