Re: [TowerTalk] Dropping guys

To: Larry <w6nws@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dropping guys
From: David Fuller <nn5k.mail@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:01:52 -0700
I have 90 feet of Rohn 55 with two sets of philly guys.

I have winched up a very large antenna using a ginpole and a nice capstan
winch set back from the tower.    On a CALM DAY the RH55 is fine having one
set of guys removed at a time.    What I do is winch the antenna up to just
below the first set of guys and then disconnect them from the guy points on
the ground and simply pass them under the beam.   Then winch the beam up
just above the guy point and reattach and tension the guys.    Continue on
up the tower for each set of guys.     If you have any fears about this
just attach another set of guys just below the ones you want to loosen
Once the beam is above the temp guys tension them and then loosen the
permanent set.....  Winch the beam above the perm guy set and re-tension
them.     You can work your way up the tower easily that way.    The guys
are all disconnected from the point on the ground so nobody is on the tower
when the guys are loosened and removed.

There are problems with tramming as you should have a back guy so that the
high horizontal forces you add to the tower are balanced.   That takes some
work also.   A heavy tram set up can have some pretty large forces on it
and that must be set up safely.

With the horizontal lift method the forces are not put perpendicular to the
tower so it is a pretty safe way to go.