Re: [TowerTalk] Long rotor run

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long rotor run
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:16:04 -0800
On 11/21/2011 8:18 AM, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
> Wiring costs were just a fraction of what I would have paid  for 8 conductor
> wire with two 14 wires.

Yes. I have a long run to the rotor on my tall tower, and use ordinary
14-4 house wire for most of the run.  It really is the least expensive
way to do it.  While the jacket won't last forever in the sun, there's
only relatively low voltage on it, so insulation breakdown is not a
concern until it actually shorts.  Like you, I used that 14-4 on the
ground and some better stuff that I found at an electronics surplus
store (in Sunnyvale)  to go up the tower.  Mine is a Yaesu, which uses a
DC motor, so the only issue is DC resistance.

73, Jim K9YC