Re: [TowerTalk] Which type of cable for a crank-up tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which type of cable for a crank-up tower?
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:03:28 +0000

>For my Aluma tower, the company recommended the 7x19 stainless steel
>cable. I have ordered the penetrating oil from champion radio to
>protect the cable. Regardless, i plan to replace the cables every 3 or
>4 years depending on the condition.
>
>For a salty air environment, wouldn't stainless steel be better?
>73s
>krish
>w4vku

I asked that question of the British crankup manufacturers, but they
only use stainless steel for locations like harbor walls that are
directly exposed to the sea. For all other locations (including "salty
air environments" like this QTH) they recommend galvanized steel with
heavy waterproof grease.

>If you oil the cable, won't the oil wash off the first time it rains ?
>
>John G4ZTR

Only here in Britain, where it is traditional for *all* machinery to
lose oil.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek