Re: [TowerTalk] Tower identity

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower identity
From: Rob Martin <rgmrob@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:46:38 -0800 (PST)
Thank you everyone who wrote me about this tower.

I have identified it as a Rohn HBX-48.

In case others have a similar problem I thought I would pass along how I did it.

The Rohn BX series towers are made from sections that get smaller as the tower
goes up. For a 48 foot tower there are three possible models that use the same
basic sections. The key to identifying the tower model is the identity of the
bottom section.

The largest section used in any of the BX series 48 foot towers is the BX-8. It
has 3 bolt holes at the bottom to attach it to the steel emanating from the
concrete, and 3 holes where it attaches to the next section, a BX-7.

A BX-7 section has three bottom bolt holes and two top holes.
A BX-6 has two bottom holes and two top holes.

If a tower has 6 sections with a BX-6 at the base it is a BX-48.
BX-7 at the base, an HBX-48.
BX-8 at the base, an HDBX-48.

73,
Rob