Re: [TowerTalk] Tower identity

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower identity
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 03:20:37 -0500
On 12/18/2011 8:35 PM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:

> [...]

I would be far more concerned about the acid removing them before they
ever reach the galvanizing tank. <:-))

> I don't know about the HBX, but most Rohn tower sections aren't so expensive
> that regalvanizing, IMO, makes much economic sense even if you value your
> time at nothing.  I certainly wouldn't hot dip anything that's assembled with
> fasteners (no matter what the material) without removing them first and
> replacing them after.
>
> Put another way, if the structure pieces are so badly worn as to require
> regalvanizing, should't they be replaced?
Unless a person has the equipment and knowledge to measure the the leg
thickness and interior condition how do they know what they are
regalvanizing is safe?
That, to me, raises the question, "How does hot dip galvanizing become
worn to the point where it needs replacing?"  How it became worn might
be more important than it needing to be regalvanized.

73

Roger (K8RI)