[TowerTalk] Mast Steps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast Steps
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:26:10 -0800
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:27:44 -0700
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast Steps

I do about the same but welded a 1/8", 6 "X 4" flat steel plate to the
middle of the mast side of the angle stock. I mark the center of the
angle/plate then drill holes about 4 inches vertical apart for the standard
2" pipe/muffler clamps (w/saddles). I also weld a small piece of 3/4" angle
to the ends to keep from slipping off.

I smooth off all angles and sharp edges and paint with cold galvanize. With
4 - 5 inches of spacing between clamps there is no movement of the step at
all.

Putting that non-slip sandpaper type material on the step, as mentioned by
VE7RF, sounds good!

Ray.
N6VR

##  I didn't want to get into welding, and  cold galvanizing steel  only last
so long.
Rust never sleeps, and Aluminum doesn't rust.  I wanted something simple and
effective.
The local metal place had loads of AL angle material, so got em to cut it into
14" lengths.
For a 3" mast, I would have made them longer, like  15".    I had been looking
for that
non-skid, sticky back stuff for some time. A lot of boat places also stock it.
IF it starts
spitting rain out, or any moisture at all, those angle steps  are like greased
lightening.
Angle steel bracing,  sloping downwards on my old Trylon is bad enough in the
wet,
it's a disaster for mast steps.   This non skid stuff is the ticket. The bottom
of your
boots  won't  budge.  I experimented with different sizes of angle AL, and
came to
the conclusion that  2" x 2"  x  1/4"  thick  6061-T6  met the criteria.
2"  wide is wide enough so your feet/legs  don't succumb to fatigue.  The 2" x
2",
depending on who makes it, will either have a web on the inside corner, or not.
I tested these these steps  6 x ways to Sunday, and they won't budge, flex. Use
a small TQ wrench to dial in the correct TQ  for the 3/8"  G-8  lubricated
bolts.
A chalk line down the side of the mast on both sides  will also help with
alignment,
in the cases  where the mast + steps  are assembled on the grnd.

later..... Jim  VE7RF