Re: [TowerTalk] Mast Steps

To: "\[TowerTalk\]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast Steps
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:16:21 -0800
I made my mast steps from angle iron also.   I used 1" x  1" x 1/8"  galvanized
angle attached to the mast with 2" heavy duty muffler clamps using 3/8 x 24 NC,
SAE grade 5 u-bolts.
I sprayed the muffler clamps and ubolts with cold galvanizing spray.  The steps
are very solid and stable.  The muffler clamps grip the mast very well and
prevent any movement
by the angle when stepped on.  I am anal about safety and to insure the ubolts
weren't over stressed when tightened the nuts were tightened with a torque
wrench
to 30 foot pounds, the recommended torque for these bolts.

73,
Bob
K6UJ