Re: [TowerTalk] Mast Steps

To: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast Steps
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:27:44 -0700
I do about the same but welded a 1/8", 6 "X 4" flat steel plate to the
middle of the mast side of the angle stock. I mark the center of the
angle/plate then drill holes about 4 inches vertical apart for the standard
2" pipe/muffler clamps (w/saddles). I also weld a small piece of 3/4" angle
to the ends to keep from slipping off.

I smooth off all angles and sharp edges and paint with cold galvanize. With
4 - 5 inches of spacing between clamps there is no movement of the step at
all.

Putting that non-slip sandpaper type material on the step, as mentioned by
VE7RF, sounds good!

Ray.
N6VR

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I made my mast steps from angle iron also.   I used 1" x  1" x 1/8"
>  galvanized angle attached to the mast with 2" heavy duty muffler clamps
> using 3/8 x 24 NC, SAE grade 5 u-bolts.
> I sprayed the muffler clamps and ubolts with cold galvanizing spray.  The
> steps are very solid and stable.  The muffler clamps grip the mast very
> well and prevent any movement
> by the angle when stepped on.  I am anal about safety and to insure the
> ubolts weren't over stressed when tightened the nuts were tightened with a
> torque wrench
> to 30 foot pounds, the recommended torque for these bolts.
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K6UJ
>

> On Dec 18, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
>
> > Steve and I made some up with angle iron purchased at the local Ace
> Hardware and big U-bolts. My mast is 2-7/8 tho
> >
> > Dick, K6KR
> >
> > On Dec 18, 2011, at 7:48, "Chuck" <w5pr@swbell.net> wrote:
> >
> >> W9IIX no longer makes mast steps.  I used to have a listing of someone
> who makes aluminum mast steps, but I can't find it.  I need about 4 steps
> for a 2' mast.  Does not have to be aluminum. Any ideas of where I can get
> them?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Chuck W5PR

*Ray,*