Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight Winch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight Winch
From: "Jim Walker" <jim@walkersdomain.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:42:39 -0600
Some of their products are not of the same quality as those sold at Lowe's,
Home Depot or perhaps Sears.

That said, I have several electric powered tools that were purchased years
ago from HF and still operate like they did when new.

I purchased two of their lower cost electric winches a couple years ago for
the purpose of raising and lowering my hazer on 50 feet of Rohn 25.

It worked great for a very long time.  However, without an adequate way of
keeping out all the moisture, the last time I went out to lower the hazer I
had to loosen several bolts in order to free up the shafts, etc. from rust.

I have little fear of the motor causing massive tower or antenna failure as
the hazer has a latch that keeps any failure from causing severe damage.

The winch was so inexpensive, I purchased two when they were on sale.  I
believe they were around $89 each.

I love going to HF.  I always find something I need and the price is always
right.

Jim
KBØX