Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight Winch

To: Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>, towertalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight Winch
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:09:03 -0500
Hi Mike.

Are you going to be lifting tower sections or pulling rolling stock? As
you might imagine, winching rolling stock is different from lifting dead
weight. I've included some of the differences between the two from info
that I've collected from a couple of suppliers pages at the top of this
page: http://www.w4abc.com/drive.html

I'm using one of HF's 120VAC 1300# engine hoist's to raise my UST
TX-455. It works quickly with little strain but there are better (long
term) home spun alternatives utilizing products built for sizable loads
and the weather.

I see that the 2K, 3K and 5K winches are all on sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?keyword=winch Take a
look at the specifications - specifically duty cycle and line speed for
a given load. Can you accomplish all that you need to in the allotted
time for a given load with a lengthy cool-down period? Personally, I
tend to push ratings. Also note the difference in components when you
jump from 2K to 3K & 5K. The 3K is built a bit more robustly.

The 2K, 3K & 5K are all in the same family. One manual covers all three
winches:
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/68000-68999/68146.pdf

As to duty cycle -
CAUTION: Do not use the winch in a constant duty application, it is
designed for INTERMITTENT USE ONLY.

Avoid damage to the Winch by not winching for more than the prescribed
duty cycle time. The Duty Cycle defines the amount of time, within a 15
minute period, during which a Winch can operate at its maximum capacity
without overheating. For example, this Winch with a 5% duty cycle at its
maximum load must be allowed to rest for at least 14 minutes, 15 seconds
after every 45 seconds of continuous operation. Failure to carefully
observe duty cycle limitations can easily over‑stress a Winch
contributing to premature Winch failure.

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com