Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight Winch

To: Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight Winch
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:06:51 -0800
I've bought A LOT of HF tools over the past 15 years and have the
following rules of thumb - (IMHO of course)

The quality improves every year, so what used to be marginal may now be
acceptable.
Anything with a Chinese AC motor is risky - particularly air compressors
and hard start items.
I wouldn't trust any life safety or major item safety to most of the
products.  Nothing overhead!
The wrenches and sockets hold up - my 3/4 drive socket set is ok for big
jobs.
The drills are worthless.  Concrete mixers likewise.
If a high quality steel is needed (e.g. punches) you may have a one time
use tool.
They have lots of very good deals if you can use the sale coupons.  Good
for use little tools.
Even the heavy duty tarps last only one season.
The compressed air fittings are ok, low cost, and rarely off spec.
Good for disposable items like chip brushes, hand (not power) wire
brushes, etc.
Carts, hand trucks, and the like are great for the $$.  Also ball
bearing tool chests if on sale.

Caveat emptor!

Grant KZ1W