Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:04:49 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Eddy,I have no clue.  My educational background is in Biology (ugrad) and
Veterinary Medicine (doctoral).  I currently (and for the past 15 years) am
working in healthcare (hospital administration).  I also have a degree in
Hospital Administration.I have been contesting for over 40 years.  I hold many
current contest records.  I have helped build some of the largest ham antennas
in the world (when I operated at a M/M for 10 years).  I am an empirical type
of guy.  I report what I observe.  HNY!de Doug KR2Q----- Original Message
-----From: Eddy Swynar Date: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:04 amSubject: Re:
[TowerTalk] trees and verticalsTo: kr2q@optimum.netCc:
towertalk@contesting.com> Hi Guys,> > I guess I'm just plain stupid or
something, I don't know...> > ...But whenever someone tells me that a tree is
death to the > radiation emitted from a nearby vertical antenna, I immediately
> ask myself the question, "Then what would be better than having > a tree
nearby...? A grounded metal post, perhaps...?"> > Think about it: a tree
supposedly detracts from the effective > radiated power of an
antenna...correct? Then what does a metal > post do, if not directly bypass
said radiated power directly to > ground, with considerably reduced
resistance...? Which s > "better" for the signal, a "semi-conducting" trunk of
wood, or a > better-conducting metal bypass...?> > Or ask yourself this
question: you have a vertical antenna---is > it better that the vertical be
located in the middle of a grove > of trees, or in the midst of urban sprawl,
with steel-framed > structures the same height of your vertical...?> > "...And
in 25 words, or less, explain why." Hi Hi> > ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ> > >