Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 14:30:51 -0700
Metal re-radiates whatever it RF absorbs, assuming no ohmic losses.
Think about how a yagi reflector or director works.  In the case of
random metal you will get random re-radiation, but the RF goes somewhere
just as N6FD stated.  In the case of fully enclosed metal you will get
Faraday shielding because the currents exist only on the outside of the
structure and the re-radiated signal goes elsewhere than inside the
structure.

Grounded metal doesn't necessarily dissipate RF anywhere, although it
might do so if the current distribution is such that a significant
portion of it passes through lossy earth.  Think about how a grounded
vertical antenna works.  We're not talking DC here.

Fundamentally, when RF hits a conducting element (wire, piece of tubing,
tree, side of a building, etc) it induces currents in that element ...
currents that are no different than if you had been able to somehow
connect your transmit coax to it.  Those currents generate an
electromagnetic field around that element that is in fact re-radiated
RF.  If the element is lossy (wood, dirt, wet mattress, etc) the induced
currents are dissipated as heat instead of being re-radiated.  If the
element is non-conductive the RF passes through it without loss
(although there might be some dielectric diffraction depending upon the
material and the frequency involved).  If the element is highly
conductive without appreciable loss the energy is re-radiated in a
pattern determined by the physical structure of the element and it's
proximity to other conductive elements in the vicinity.

Lastly, to your comment about energy just reflecting from conductor to
conductor until it reached our antenna, each time a re-radiation occurs
the energy heads in all directions.  Only a small portion of it
re-induces currents in the next element closer to you.  If indeed the RF
originated INSIDE a structure fully comprised of perfectly conductive
metal, the RF would bounce around until it was all absorbed by a receive
antenna placed inside (that just happens to be the principle behind
integrating spheres used for light intensity measurements), but you
don't get that situation if the RF comes from OUTSIDE the structure.

Dave   AB7E