Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: N6FD <n6fd@hughes.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:17:36 -0800
Eddy,

Think about the metal as being part of an antenna system.  A yagi has
the reflector often shorted to the boom and driven element.  The metal
reflects or redirects the signal with minor losses.  The signal may not
go where you want it to, but it does go somewhere.  At RF a short is not
necessarily a short.  If you short the end of your coax, the energy
doesn't disappear, but is reflected back up the coax to either be
dissipated in the radio or the coax.

In the case of a building with your signal inside, think microwave
oven.  The signal bounces around the interior, being dissipated in the
meat (you, your furnishings, etc.) inside. Not much of the signal gets
out.  A steel frame building generally has openings much less than a
wavelength long at HF, and is therefore a Faraday Cage, keeping the
signals inside.  A lot of people (myself included) have been very
effective with attic antennas in wood structures.

The reason that we don't build antennas with steel is that it is lossy
compared to aluminum and copper.  Were it cost effective, silver would
be the best antenna material.  But steel does often have lower loss than
a wet tree.

73, Erich
N6FD DM15bp