Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:16:55 -0700
Eddy,

#2 ...  If the steel structure was fully enclosed all of the induced
currents would remain on the INSIDE of the structure only and never
escape the box.  Look up "Faraday shield" if you don't believe me.  If
the steel structure was not fully enclosed you would, depending upon the
size and shape of it, suffer severe pattern distortion as the currents
and re-radiated fields bounce all over the place before they escape the
structure.  And if the steel structure had resistive losses, much of the
energy would be dissipated as heat before the energy escaped it.  I
don't see why anyone would view any of that as desirable.

#4 ... As I and others have tried to point out to you, "ground" is not
automatically a heatsink for RF.  Currents passing through lossy ground
will indeed be dissipated as heat, but merely connecting a metal
structure to ground does not necessarily mean that significant currents
will flow through ground.  If you can't grasp that you don't understand
the wave nature of RF.

By the way, I never mentioned anything about a lossy VFO cover and I
don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.  But I will
say this ... from a practical standpoint there is no way a lossy box can
be made that shields as well as a fully conductive one.   The lossy box
would have to be physically very thick.  I know you won't understand
that, but it it helps any try to think of the difference between a
reflective heat shield and an insulating one.  Physically the analogy is
greatly flawed, but the concept is the same.

Lastly, I never said that trees weren't nature's gift to hams.  I relied
on trees for years to support various wire antennas, and many of the
folks on this reflector have done the same with fine results.  Running a
vertical antenna up the trunk of a tree is not the best of use one, but
frankly I'm getting really tired of trying to explain to you why.

Dave   AB7E