Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 18:29:52 -0700

#1   Antennas inside of an attic are often really poor performers
precisely because there is enough stuff up there to absorb a lot of the
RF, although not all of it is wood.  I don't think shingles are all that
transparent to RF, for example, especially when wet.  Attic antennas do
enable contacts, of course ... after all, even if only 5% of your 100
watts is escaping the attic you're no worse off than if you were running
QRP to a decent antenna.  The problem is that most people using an attic
antenna don't have anything better to compare it against.  if they did,
not many of them would be using the attic antenna.  Besides, wood inside
an attic is almost always bone dry ... people used to make insulators
out of that stuff.

#2  Just because steel has lower loss than a wet tree doesn't mean that
it would be smart to built an antenna inside of a steel structure when
it would be better all the way around to put it in the clear.  Why would
you ever do that?   It's like saying I'm going to cover my TV screen
with waxed paper because waxed paper lets more let through than tar paper.

#3  Tuning and SWR of an antenna has NOTHING to do with the inherent
loss of the antenna itself.  Nearby structures can affect the tuning
without adding any loss of their own to the system.

#4  Actually, at least a few people have already answered your
questions.  Conductive but mostly lossy structures absorb RF ...
conductive but mostly non-lossy structures deflect or block RF.  Neither
is desirable, but as N6FD tried to tell you quite a while ago deflected
RF is better than dissipated RF because at least it's going somewhere
that might potentially be more useful than heat.  Nobody is "having it
both ways" ... you just don't grasp the difference.

It's your turn to think about it.

Dave   AB7E