Re: [TowerTalk] Copper strap bonding ideas?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Copper strap bonding ideas?
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:42:36 -0500
On 01/11/2012 09:33 AM, Jim Miller wrote:

> lightning induced power surge don't warrant the use of strap. It also
> sounds like augmenting the bonding from panel to ufer is not time well
> spent.
>
> Is the above correct?

Indeed.  The way to protect your house, is to ensure that everything
in your house is at the same potential.

Normally this is easy, since stuff only comes into the house in one
spot, and every ground is bonded together at that spot.

> My antenna and controls all come into the house adjacent to the service
> entrance and terminate on a copper panel which will be bonded to the same
> ufer. The length from this "antenna panel" to the ufer is about 10ft (floor
> to celiing distance). What would you recommend as the bonding wire for this
> length?

Nothing wrong using copper strap to bind the copper panel
to your service entrance ground.  Using a large diameter
ground wire would be fine too.

Use whatever you prefer, as long as there is a really
good connection, you should be fine.

The point of this connection is to ensure that both your
coax and your house wiring will be at the same potential
when there is a nearby strike, so lightning induced
current will not take a detour through your favourite
electronic toys...