Re: [TowerTalk] Request for Advice - Rohn 25 vs TRI-EX HZN 471

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Request for Advice - Rohn 25 vs TRI-EX HZN 471
From: Eric - VE3GSI <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:46:47 -0500
Bruce,
You noted:
>The tower site is covered in 60' plus trees and there is a similar
>height hill with similar height trees between my tower and the far end.
>I need to get above the trees plus above the fresnel zone so I want to
>go as high as I can.

I won't try an sort out the mechanics of you project, but I will assure you
trees grow.  So what ever antenna you put up will dwarf the tower, most
likely sooner than you think.  When I lived in town, my first tower at only
56 foot was taller than the near by trees, eventually the trees got somewhat
taller than the tower.  My second tower was at 72 foot and you guessed it,
the tower shrunk the trees did not.

All I am trying to say is if you are trying to get above the trees for a
clear signal and unless you can do an odd lumber jack job, the trees will
win.

In any case, have fun growing towers of any kind is a lot of fun.

Eric - VE3GSI