Re: [TowerTalk] Request for Advice - Rohn 25 vs TRI-EX HZN 471

To: "Bruce Ward" <Bruce@IPIntel.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Request for Advice - Rohn 25 vs TRI-EX HZN 471
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:29:22 -0800
Bruce-

I'd recommend the crank-up.  I recently put up a US Tower crank-up tower in
my forested area which gets lots of wind.  I thought about a self-supporting
tower, but something like a Trylon that would handle our local winter storm
winds would be very expensive.  Also, I figured if the tower was fixed and
the wind broke the antenna, then I would need to climb the tower and bring
it down for repairs.  The crank-up can be lowered when high winds are
predicted, which will greatly reduce the overturning moment on the tower, as
well as shield the antenna itself behind the tall trees.  Leaving a
non-guyed Rohn 25 up with antennas on it IMO would be asking for lots of
trouble.  It will eventually likely fold at the bracket.

73,

Steve
N6SJ