Re: [TowerTalk] TailTwister overhaul

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TailTwister overhaul
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:50:46 -0400
On 4/1/2012 8:32 PM, Bob K6UJ wrote:
> My HyGain Tailtwister has been in the tower for 18 years now and it is
> showing some signs of
> needing a little TLC.  Sometimes when I try to rotate the beam it wont move
> at all, but if I turn it the opposite direction for a wee bit,
> then go back in the original direction, it works fine.  I am planning on
> taking her down and doing an overhaul.  I have been searching
> the archives and found a referral to this webpage for an overview of how to
> do the overhaul
> http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/Rotors/Tail-Twister.htm     I am going to
> order new bearings, races, potentiometer, and what ever else
> that I can find that could be replaced. I'd like it to hold up for another 18
> years, hihi.   I understand that the parts are available from MFJ now.
> If you have overhauled a HyGain rotor and can throw me some words of advice
> it would be appreciated.  Never overhauled a rotor
> before but it looks to be not that difficult.

I didn't find it near as difficult as he did.  One thing I did different
was order the cable connector and pig tail to replace the terminal
strip.  I did use a bit more grease  (White Lithium)  than recommended
but it held the bearing races in place.  As I was able to turn the
rotator I ran it to the end of rotation.  It doesn't matter which end,
just remember which one<:-)) I also took a black felt marker and drew a
line from the top to the bottom of the rotator.  I doubt you'll find the
bearings any cheaper any where else. Our local hardware had them in bulk
for about twice the price.

73

Roger (K8RI)