Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor bolts for LM470

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor bolts for LM470
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 10:22:30 -0700
On 4/15/12 9:53 AM, Rick Stealey wrote:

>> There is no need and it is not recommended by American Concrete Institution
>> (ACI) 318 design specifications for reinforced concrete to use hooked (J)
>> anchor rods
>
> Again, remember, I had a hard time with Statics in college so go easy on me,
> but
> I always thought it was necessary to have a J to keep the rod from turning.
> But I guess even a tiny, very tiny, amount of bend would do the same thing?

the friction between the concrete and the bolt is MORE than enough to
resist the nut torque.  This isn't a connecting rod bolt where you
torque it down to preload the tension in the bolt so it never goes
negative.

You can finger tighten the nut to snug, and as long as you have some way
to keep the nut from coming off (safety wire, cotter pin, second jam
nut), then you're in great shape.