[TowerTalk] Rotator Cable Size

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator Cable Size
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 22:48:17 -0700
On 4/28/2012 8:40 PM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> does anyone know what size conductors are needed for a 500ft
> cable used with a G1000SDX rotator?
>
> Yaesu simply says use #18 if over 125ft.

There are five conductors. I did an interpolation of their stupidly
vague recommendation in the manual, translating it to 2.5 ohms max
resistance in the loop that runs the motor, which is pins 4 and 5. I
made a note that #14 is sufficient for 525 ft. Much greater resistance
is acceptable for the three conductors (pins 1, 2, and 3) that go to the
500 ohm pot that senses position. #18 would be a very conservative choice.

It's overkill, but I used two  twisted triplets of #14 house wiring for
the 350 ft run to my Yaesu rotator.  While the outer jacket is not
particularly robust, It will probably last longer than i will, and
because it is sold in such great quantities, can be bought cheaper than
smaller stuff that would work fine.

73, Jim K9YC