Re: [TowerTalk] Fire damage to 100' tower with Phillystran guys - help n

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fire damage to 100' tower with Phillystran guys - help needed
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:41:01 -0400
On 7/30/2012 1:38 PM, Ralston, William wrote:
> A recent fire in my neighborhood burned a few houses and most of my 5 acres,
> but mostly spared my buildings (now brightly decorated with fire retardant
> and melted vinyl).  The tower is 100' with two levels of guys:  the Rohn
> catalog configuration except for the use of Phillystran HPTG6700I for the
> guys.  The lower portion of the guys (up to about 15 feet above ground) is ¼
> EHS.  The tower base is fine, as the area around the base was well cleared;
> no damage to coax and equipment at base.
>
> We are, however, concerned about one guy wire that passes over a stand of
> scrub oak.   There might be damage to the PVC coating on the Phillystran, but
> we can't see clearly from the ground even with binoculars, and will probably
> be bringing in a lift to get a closer look.
>
> My questions are:

I'm going to echo Jim's sentiment.

> 1.       Is there a point at which I need to worry about the steel EHS losing
> strength due to heat from the fire?

it certainly should be inspected. If it's been heated enough it can lose
temper and galvanizing. Neither are good.

> 2.       If the PVC coating on the Phillystran is intact, do I need to worry
> about the underlying aramid (Kevlar) cable?

Phillystran is fragile to heat and moisture, so, yes you should be
concerned.  If the jacket is no longer continuous moisture can get in.
The black jacket is there just for protection and it's important.
"I would think" if the jacket is in good shape, showing no signs of
heating then the guy is "probably OK", but with HTPG2006 a couple
hundred dollars worth of cable, plus installation would be good insurance.

> And then the big question... any referrals to someone that would be able to
> (1) inspect, and (2) replace/repair as necessary?  The tower is located 20
> miles southwest of Salt Lake City, UT.

I don't know anything about this part other than there must be some
tower workers in your area.

Good L:uck,

Roger (K8RI)