Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas questions...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas questions...
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:53:08 -0400
On 8/22/2012 5:17 PM, Marcelo Egues wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I have some questions about the real performance of the tribander antennas.
>
> I like Mosley antennas for the durability, construction and performance....
> I've seen several tribander antennas (Bencher, Optibeam, M2) with less
> performance than the TA34 (comparing gain on website).
> It´s correct?

You will find all kinds of claims for gain, f/b, and longevity from most
antenna manufacturers.  An antenna that is rugged, has good gain, and
good front to back is going to be expensive...and likely "big".  A
number of the really good antennas of yore are no longer available.  C3i
is an example. They made really good antennas and stood behind them.
They weren't perfect antennas and you weren't going to run 4 or 5 KW
through them, but they worked well.

Everyone seems to have favorites that have been up for years, or decades
BUT those are too few examples to be statically meaningful.
It's like reading "ham reviews": Typically nearly everyone who purchased
an expensive rig or antenna things it is the ultimate, with a few
thinking it's a POS.

The one thing in common among all advertized gain figures whether dbi or
dbd, is an inconsistency because those gain figures are either
calculated or are measured at a specific site. If measured they are
specific to the site where they were measured and the "skill" of the
person doing the measurements as well as the advertizing departments
.... ah...ahhhh...spin, not that I'd ever accuse any of them of
embellishing the test results.

I've had many different makes and models over the past 50 plus years.
I've had multiples of a number of them over the years, particularly
tribanders and multiband verticals and I have done comparisons between a
few of them and all of them required maintenance at one time or another.

One thing I can say with a certainty:  There are often changes in the
same make and model over the years.  I recently put up a Cushcraft R8
and am getting ready to put up a new Hy-Gain AV-640 for comparisons.
These antennas look very much alike, were designed by the same person
with the AV640 coming after the R8.  Both companies are now owned by the
same company. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the
two as far as "put up and go" as well as bandwidth.  Major difference
when using a VNA for analysis.

I wish I'd had the VNA available years ago.

I also wish I had taken photos of the parts finish of the earlier AV640
compared to the current production (IE Post buy out) and also had one of
the earlier R8's for comparison.

At any rate, if you like Mosley, then go with it, but be careful about
advertizing claims.  It may or may not perform according to a bunch of
web site comparison figures, but in the real world on a day by day basis
you are unlikely to be able to tell any difference between it and the
typical tribander unless their quality control has gone down the toilet,
which has definitely deteriorated with some companies.

73 and good luck on your choice what ever it may be.

Roger (K8RI)