Re: [TowerTalk] guying a Rohn 25 tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guying a Rohn 25 tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 07:12:47 -0700
On 9/9/12 7:03 AM, mikflathead@aol.com wrote:

I would like to put up 40-50 feet of 25. It would be behind my single
story ranch house. One guy would go towards the rear. The other 2
would head toward the front left and right. The easiest would be to
guy to the roof. This tower will be for some vhf and uhf antennas.

You want to talk to someone knowledgeable about how your roof is built and what loads it can take. What kind of roof is it? (pitched, flat, etc.)?

Most roofs are designed to take downwards loads (e.g. snow, the weight of the roof itself, the cladding: shingles, tiles, slate, thatch) and aren't real good at resisting upwards pull or side loads (why roofs come off in windstorms.. they just held on with a few nails, because normally gravity is their friend)

Certainly it is possible to do it right. I've seen some engineered installations, but in my vague recollection, they actually tied into the side wall as well as the roof structure. In any case, it is VERY dependent on your specific roof.

Just because someone else anchored to a roof and it didn't cause a problem doesn't mean that you can do the same (they could have been lucky).