Re: [TowerTalk] guying a Rohn 25 tower

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <mikflathead@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guying a Rohn 25 tower
From: "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 20:42:27 -0400
   I've seen roofs that have been pulled loose by  attached guy wires. You
can do it but I'd be very careful about the engineering.  A fellow
TowerTalkian, Tony, K1KP, wrote a QST article some years ago about this topic. Get
ahold of a copy of it and you'll be much wiser.

   Please note that 25G uses 3/16" EHS with a ultimate  breaking strength
of 4000#. Could your homebrew roof guy anchor take that kind  of stress? I
didn't think so.

   Obviously your proposed installation will be on the  small side so you
won't have much risk but I'd still be careful.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH

I roof guyed a 60 foot Rohn 25 tower once and it makes me shiver looking back at it. I would never do that again.

As Steve says, the guy anchors need to be able to take 4000 pounds of pull...a roof just isn't going to do it.

Don't do it..install proper guy anchors per the Rohn guidelines. You can go out further but all guys should make the same angle with the tower.

Mark N1UK