Re: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem due to rocky soil -- solutions?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kk1c@live.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem due to rocky soil -- solutions?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:49:39 -0500 (EST)
>  I am finally getting around to putting up my 60' AN  Wireless tower on
top of a rocky ridge in WV. I rented a Hilti demo hammer and  got about 1/3
of my rods in to the ground at least 4' -- but the majority are  only 2 or 3
feet deep because of the rocks/ledges. I don't think I have much of  a
choice other than to cut the rods off and drive the remnants into the ground
field and exothermically weld my 20 gauge copper strap to all of these shallow
rods.
Other than paying big money for a well drilling rig to drill some deep  6"
holes and filling them with bentonite (which may not be possible given the
slope of the land and the fact that I now have 8 trenches running 75' out
from  the tower pad) do I have any other practical alternatives?

    Sure. The rods can be installed horizontally.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH