Re: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem due to rocky soil -- solutions?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem due to rocky soil -- solutions?
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:48:43 +0000
Yes, but... while there are significant high frequency components to the
waveform, there is charge to be transferred mostly one direction, so you do
need the conduction pathway.  And in experiments the mechanism appears to be
underground streamers rather than general ionization of large volumes of
soil... so insulation would likely end up full of holes.  Plus for lower
frequency power safety grounding you would have a significantly higher
impedance.  So unlike radials for a vertical antenna where you are just
worrying about transmission efficiency the insulation would probably not be
good for a lightning or safety ground.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net