Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Earthing a tower

To: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Earthing a tower
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:09:50 -0500
Have your friend Google "Ufer ground"

Al
AB2ZY

-----Original Message-----
From: TowerTalk [mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Patrick
Greenlee
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:17 PM
To: towertalk

I have a friend who is a ham and is EE with 30+ years of antenna design
experience.  He tells me emphatically, "concrete is not a good conductor."
Given this, I'd be trying to not depend on concrete as part of a grounding
system.  Rebar installed correctly in steel reinforced concrete is probably at
least 2 inches under the surface of the concrete on any side, top, or bottom.
Weld plates installed when the concrete was wet (to give you something to
anchor to) or bolts or other components set into the concrete are typically NOT
in contact with the rebar cage inside the concrete (which is not a good
conductor anyway.)  So again, it is better to not rely on the concrete to
conduct.

73 Patrick AF5CK