Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555

To: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 15:41:40 -0500
Gene, I didn't think the 6 inch burial related to squeezing a little more depth out of the rod but was supposed to confer some advantage. What advantage was not mentioned, just info from the tower mfg showing the 6 inch burial as part of the grounding system along with clamps or bolts to connect the other end of the ground wire to the tower leg (depending on formed or tube leg.) Hence my query. Why would they want you to bury the connection?

I share your concern for burying a COTS ground clamp. It just doesn't seem like a good idea. Thus the query.

I wonder if you wrapped a couple turns of your ground wire around the ground rod and soldered it on if that wouldn't do as well as the Cadweld method, not as much fun but but I think maybe as effective. Of course not everyone has a torch and skill to solder big heavy heat sinky sorts of things so Cadweld brings welding to the masses. It is essentially a thermite reaction with an oxide of copper replacing the rust (iron oxide) typically used in thermite welding. I haven't tried oxy-acetylene welding with copper "filler rod" but don't see why it would be inferior to Cadweld for folks with a torch and know how.

I have been putting a few ground rods in where a sledge hammer wasn't making much progress by using a Harbor Freight Demolition hammer. I have also welded stainless steel tabs to spots on the side of the rod after grinding off some copper. In marine electronic applications stainless steel "tabs" and ring terminals to connect the copper wire to the tabs, when generously covered with silicon rubber (RTV) lasted well in the damp salty shipboard environment. I should expect as good or better results in moist residential venues.

If it turns out there is a real advantage (whatever it might be) to burying the top of the rod 6 inches I could weld a small SS tab near the top of the rod and use a SS machine screw to fasten the wire with a ring terminal and then "form up" around the top couple inches of rod and fill the form with epoxy selected for minimum vapor penetration. A small hand modified paper cup would make a good form. I have seen telephone repairmen put a phone wire splice in a small baggie (like a sandwich bag) and pour in epoxy, holding the assy just so to keep the splice near the center of the glob of epoxy till the epoxy started to cure.

Meanwhile as we await enlightenment regarding "bury the clamp 6 inches" I will be welding SS tabs near the tops of ground rods and using SS machine screws to fasten the terminal with ground wire and leaving the connection a few inches above grade. I will monitor the condition of the connection and if it looks necessary I will clean up the connection, refasten, and weatherproof with a good coat of GE RTV or other weather proofer. In the past I tried anti-oxidation pastes on the copper wire and the terminal prior to crimping and I think soldering the terminal is better than crimping with or without using the anti-oxidation paste.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Gene Smar