Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 17:58:04 -0700
On 5/5/13 4:06 PM, Steve Jones wrote:
US Tower provided me a grounding diagram with my tower.  It was two 8'
ground rods with #2 copper conductors.  The local California county building
dept. had me add a Ufer ground to by connecting a #2 copper wire to the
rebar cage and bringing it out below grade to the two ground rods.  Not sure
if this would be good enough for West TX.

*below grade*?? That's pretty unusual.  What county?

California's State Electrical Code (Title 24) which is basically the NEC with some changes, requires concrete encased grounding electrodes (aka Ufer grounds) for virtually all applications. You might have additional grounding electrodes (e.g. water pipes, rods, etc.) , but they're going to want you to bond those to the Ufer ground.

History shows that lots of "rod only" or "cold water pipe" grounds eventually fail. The clamp gets loose from temperature cycling or corrodes off, the pipe is replaced with plastic by the utility, etc. One of the big advantages of a Ufer ground (other than the fact that it works really well as a ground) is that it is maintenance free and doesn't degrade. Once installed, it will last forever.