Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 14:12:01 -0700
On 5/5/13 12:35 PM, Bryan Swadener wrote:
Hi Brad,

Refer to the instructions from the PE you hired, and do that.
For my TX472, my PE (Hank KR7X) specified one ground rod/
electrode per tower leg, connected using 2/0 wire or
equivalent, with all rods/electrodes interconnected using
2/0 wire.  I did exactly that: http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-tower
A UFER ground was suggested but I didn't do that because it wasn't
in the plans from the PE.

Per NEC & NFPA, all grounds are tied into the electrical service
ground using 4 AWG, according to instructions from a licensed
electrician.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

NEC doesn't require 4 AWG, in general, but your local electrician might have gone for 4, based on local knowledge. Bear in mind that the local "Authority Having Jurisdiction" (AHJ) is the final arbiter, which is why it's worth having local input. You NEVER want to get into a "but the code says X" discussion with the local inspector. You *will* lose.