Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding - Tower Grounds

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding - Tower Grounds
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 12:32:23 -0700
On 5/6/2013 11:56 AM, Rip R wrote:
So what I am taking away from the thread on Grounding HDX-555 is that if
you are going to put up a tower you absolutely need to ground it. I hope to
be putting up a tower in a few weeks and had not really given this much
thought. I have not grounded any of my rigs and equipment over the years
and maybe this is a little risky too. At any rate, I will break open the
ARRL antenna handbook before I start this project.

The best reference I know of is one of the later editions of the ARRL HANDBOOK (not the Antenna Book), which was either written by Jim Lux, or with his considerable input.

Only a complete fool would not properly GROUND and BOND everything in an building, including a ham station, and the NEC is the RIGHT way to do it. The primary reason for an EARTH connection is LIGHTNING safety. The primary reasons for BONDING are lightning safety, fire safety, and personal safety (prevention of electrical shock). If BONDING is done properly, it can also minimize problems with power-related hum and buzz, and and RF interference.

73, Jim K9YC