Re: [TowerTalk] AlfaSpid tracking software?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AlfaSpid tracking software?
From: "Andrew J. Buckler (BBMSC)" <andrew.buckler@bbmsc.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 01:59:23 +0000
Actually, I think maybe I'm beginning to understand... on digging around and
reflecting on helpful emails from multiple parties, it seems that there is an
emulation mode in the AlfaSpid controller to make it look like the Yeasu which
is needed in some or all of the tracking software. I guess, then it will work;
but it leads to the next problem in order to try it out: in the course of this
I have seen that there are many, many tracking software programs out there.
Nova, HRD, SatPc32, PstRotator... some free, some purchased... I've heard from
4 TowerTalk folks and each has suggested a different program!

At first, I tried to just start downloading multiple of them to try it out, but
each has its own way of working that needs to be understood before I can get
anything to work. So all I've done presently is confuse myself with the variety.

So: is there advice that multiple people could weigh into on the pros and cons
of the various options, so that I can try to determine which one to invest time
in understanding? My goals are to use it minimally for EME and satellite,
ideally also for "novice" radio astronomy to try to get exposed to that too.

Andy K2OP