Re: [TowerTalk] Coax and control lines in same PVC (Steve Jones)-Option

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax and control lines in same PVC (Steve Jones)-Option
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:37:53 -0700

You still need to provide +12V to switch the relays plus power for the
WiFi receivers *and* protect the sensitive receivers located at the base
bottom of a huge lightning rod from damage from both water (rain) and
lightning.

yeah, but those "sensitive receivers" these days are <$20 and it would be fairly easy to build a "lightning proof" box that passes 2.4GHz (slots)

Actually, you might want to look into something like aircable, which is a long range bluetooth type interface.

Copper control cables with proper lightning protection and relay output
controllers are far more reliable and damage resistant than small signal
(WiFi boxes) devices.

For the cost of hundreds of feet of multiconductor wire and those protection devices, you can probably buy a lot of WiFi interfaces.

I'm not sure what the most cost effective architecture would be.

And if you are running copper the whole way, then Ethernet (using fiber) might be a good approach.

You still need power, as you point out, but I would send 110V out, and put a power supply at the base of the tower.