Re: [TowerTalk] Coax and control lines in same PVC (Steve Jones)-Option

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax and control lines in same PVC (Steve Jones)-Option
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:02:24 +0100
For remote control of a Beverage antenna selector, N4ZR has had good
success with sending the 300MHz control signals out along the same coax
that carries the incoming 160/80m signals. That same coax also carries
DC power to the preamps. I believe that Pete documented this in NCJ.

The range of an ordinary over-the air control link is limited and patchy
because the radiated signal spreads out in all directions and is almost
entirely wasted - only a tiny fraction of the power radiated from the
transmitter will fall upon the receiving antenna. The control receiver
has to be quite sensitive to compensate for this huge path loss... so
now the good news: This also means that the range of a direct
point-to-point control link over coax will be practically unlimited! You
will always hit some other practical limit first, like the size of the
property or the losses of that same coax at the primary HF signal
frequency.

For his receive-only application, Pete was able to use simple proximity
to couple the 300MHz control signals into the coax and out the other
end.  A more formally-designed type of signal coupler was not necessary
because the control link has lots of decibels in hand. With
purpose-designed signal couplers, it would be equally possible to send
low-level VHF/UHF control signals along the same coax as 1500W of HF
power.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

Jones)-