Re: [TowerTalk] short mobile antenna matching

To: k5pgw@yahoo.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] short mobile antenna matching
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 07:52:28 -0400 (EDT)
John, I have no direct experience with your particular matching problem but
 have a couple of comments.

We all assume that matching of short vertical radiators requires an
impedance step up to match 50 ohm coax. In general, that would be the case.
With
the feed point elevated as you described, it is conceivable that the base
impedance is already at or higher than 50 ohms, especially if there are some
losses thrown in.

In that case, an impedance step down would be needed and that would require
 a different matching scheme than what is normally used. It would be
helpful if  the actual R +/-j of the antenna feed point could be determined.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 7/7/2013 10:40:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,