Re: [TowerTalk] short mobile antenna matching

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] short mobile antenna matching
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 08:27:20 -0700
On 7/8/2013 4:52 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
In that case, an impedance step down would be needed and that would require
  a different matching scheme than what is normally used. It would be
helpful if  the actual R ±j of the antenna feed point could be determined.

Yes, I agree. But the issue is more a matter of radiation efficiency than matching. The coax is not long enough for the loss to be an issue, even with significant mismatch. I've always found a mobile rig with a built-in antenna tuner to be helpful.

Other posters have wisely suggested a counterpoise. Somewhere in your vehicle there is metal structure, and that can be an effective counterpoise. To make that structure useful, you may need to do some bonding to connect enough of it together. I certainly did in my Volvo S80 with a hamstick on a license plate mount. I had to bond from that mount to the trunk lid, and I had to bond around the trunk hinges. When I started running mobile in a Toyota Sequoia (big SUV) I found almost nothing was bonded to anything, and as a result had massive RFI issues (the car's computers locked up).

BUT -- the counterpoise, as well as the wire between the feedpoint and that metal will be part of the antenna. That's a good thing for the lower HF bands, but may not be as good on the higher bands. For the higher bands, you might want to add wire or metal strips to the roof and bond them to the coax shield. Pay attention to the millions of words that have been written about radial systems for 160M verticals, and scale that down to the bands where you want to operate. Here's a link to a tutorial I presented to a couple of ham groups last year on that topic. http://audiosystemsgroup.com/160MPacificon.pdf

73, Jim K9YC