Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 19:50:31 -0400
On 7/8/2013 7:10 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
What about the rest of the wires in your house?  I had a shack CRT TV need
degaussing after a lightning strike because one of my unconnected control
lines ran near it.  Over the years I have had several TVs and a satellite
receiver damaged from lightning hitting an unconnected tower.

Satellite receiver is on the same tower as the other antennas. Both coaxes from the dual LNB to through a grounding block, then through grounded bulkhead connectors into the NEMA bos where they join the other coax runs into the house.

We have no CRTs left computers and TVs are all LCDs
Doal receivers/DVRs have the coax grounded at the tower and at the house and shop entrances.

Although they and the stations connect to the computers all are easily disconnected.

Networks, telephone, satellite receivers, and rigs are all easily and quickly disconnected.

73

Roger (K8RI)

John KK9A