Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning and wired networks was: Re: Lightning protecti

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning and wired networks was: Re: Lightning protection
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 04:19:45 -0700
On 7/9/2013 6:40 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Sure, but the network cables were connected directly to the computer motherboards. I have also lost a couple of RS-232 ports on my K3, which now has a DB-9 surge protector on it - I'm inclined to think it's a design problem.

YES. Cable shields MUST be bonded to the SHIELDING ENCLOSURE (the chassis) at each end. If there is no shield, the signal return must be bonded to the shielding enclosure at both ends. Connecting the shield or signal return to the circuit board is the fundamental cause of failure due to lightning, and also causes hum, buzz, and RFI. The failure to connect the cable shield or signal return to the chassis is called "The Pin One Problem."

A contributing cause is the use of SHUNT-MODE surge suppression (MOVs) on branch circuits. In the event of a strike, each suppressor shoves the strike to the GREEN wire, and there is IR drop in every individual green wire as a result of its INDUCTANCE. If there is equipment plugged into multiple shunt-mode suppressors at different points, each suppressor sees a DIFFERENT inductance on its green wire, so there can be a VERY LARGE difference in potential (voltage) between that equipment. That voltage is what causes destructive failiure. There is a similar result when one end of the cable goes to a chassis plugged into a suppressor, and the other end goes to the station ground.

The guys working in pro audio have a LOT of very long cables plugged into equipment at widely separated points, and long ago figured out that shunt-mode surge suppression was a bad idea. Neil Muncy, working in pro audio, was the guy who figured out "The Pin One Problem." I use nothing but series-mode suppressors on branch circuits. Mine are made by Surge-X.

There's a lot about these issues on my website. http://k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC