Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio

To: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>, "Mike" <noddy1211@comcast.net>, "'K8RI'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:36:17 -0500
While I'm not going to rent a station, I fail to see how the FCC rules are broken. Consider if you went to "RENT-ALL" and rented the components, transceiver, tower, and antenna. Whether or not the rental clerk, his boss, or the owner or stockholders are lisc hams is immaterial as they aren't doing any transmitting. So long as the equipment is operated within the rules no harm no foul.

Irrespective of the commercial nature of the equipment rental/lease, the operator is responsible for the transmissions being IAW FCC rules and regs.

When you buy equipment that is a monetary transaction. How is that different from renting/leasing. How is this materially different from a club station where users pool finances and put up "super stations?"

This is like motocross. Try to campaign a bike on your own and whimper about the guys with corporate sponsors.

What about if Icom and other corporate sponsors loaned or gave all the equipment to outfit a DXpedition, then what? Same deal but for a contest station. Where would you draw the line? Could operators mention they were getting their equipment for free from the nice sponsor folk? We all brag about our specific favorite equipment, right? What if it was to "pay back" the sponsor for the loan/gift used at the contest station or DXpedition?

I fail to see where these super stations for hire violate any FCC rules or regs. I also fail to see any morality issues either. I also fail to be personally attracted to the idea of being a customer. I think this is a new, clever advance in creative hamming and deserves some new clever contest rules to level the playing field and or to cause the creation of WAC and WAS awards etc. endorsed for personal stations, club stations, "for hire" stations as well as QRP and QRO stations. I'd be the first to admit that a phased array of multiple huge antennas on multiple sky scraping towers is unfair competition for ther 100 or the 1 watt station with a salty noodle for an antenna.

Andy Granatelli nearly won the Indianapolis 500 with a turbine powered car. Immediately the playing field was leveled to prevent turbine powered "rule beaters" from dominating the track. Similar could be done in this ham radio instance.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Gene Smar