Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 19:40:48 -0400
On 8/5/2013 3:36 PM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
While I'm not going to rent a station, I fail to see how the FCC rules
are broken.  Consider if you went to "RENT-ALL" and rented the
components, transceiver, tower, and antenna. Whether or not the rental
clerk, his boss, or the owner or stockholders are lisc hams is
immaterial as they aren't doing any transmitting. So long as the
equipment is operated within the rules no harm no foul.

The difference is the station license and operator license are different.

Normally a club station is considered incidental to the operation of the club.

If the equipment and antennas were not licensed, then the FCC has no say as any ham can operate within their license.

It's splitting hairs, but legality often tests on a hair's width.
That a number of stations have operated this way for a number of years doesn't add credence to the operation, it only shows that the FCC is no longer paying attention to anything that doesn't cause problems.

I think it's a great idea, but I also think the regs prohibit it.

There are likely many on here who remember the old days and power limits when the FCC rigidly enforced those limits. Now days, I'd bet you could run 10KW and if you didn't cause problems, no one would bother you.

I've routinely run 15 to 20 KW "ERP", legally. 1500 watts into a big array or even big antenna. 13 db gain gives you 30 KW erp.
I don't have anything capable of running excessive power.

73

Roger (K8Ri)