Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio
From: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:38:07 -0500
Using the 'airwaves' for profit is illegal, not the equipment.

Rich - N5ZC

On 8/3/2013 10:14 AM, K8RI wrote:
On 8/3/2013 9:17 AM, Mickey Baker wrote:
Where did anyone every get the idea that there shouldn't be profit in ham
radio?

We are not talking about profit in ham radio, we are talking about profit from using your station We are talking about hams, or a group of hams making money from their licensed station, not from selling their station or equipment. When you sell the station,and a ham puts it on the air it receives a license which is to a physical location.

If yo let someone use the station they have to stick to the limitations of their license and the station license. Used to be if station XX used station YY its sign was XX/YY

This has nothing to do with the equipment. You cans sell or rent your equipment out, but the "station license is attached to that location.

You can build or buy a giant station and operate it remote and you can sell or rent the equipment, but not the station as I interpret the regs. The "station" is licensed to an individual, or club at a specific location and we are forbidden to make money from messages/contacts made from that station regardless of who operates it.

It seems pretty straight forward and simple to me.

Although not Tower Talk specifically, I think this is a very important and relevant topic because the important part is the giant antenna farm (Usually) and it casts doubt on the very essence of contests and awards earned. Yes we all get together and operate "someone's" station for contests and it matters not if it's local or remote, but when we are paying to make transmissions on that station? What then?

I really like the idea of renting a vacation home, in the mountains, on the beach, or on an island, where I can operate portable. Does the legality change if it already has antennas? antennas and a contest style station? The latter just went out of my price range

Thing is, as I see it we are at best in a gray area, renting a home or cabin with a station and signing portable, or outside the regs when renting a complete licensed station. What if "someone" puts up a monster station and never licenses it? They are no longer renting out a licensed ham station for money. Just that tiny detail would make it legal..."I think"

Anyone can build a ham station, complete with towers and antennas and they do not need a license to do so, but they and the station need a license to operate and any one could operate it "portable"?? That violates the spirit of the regs, but not the regs?

73

Roger (K8RI)