Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio

To: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 09:03:26 -0700
On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net> wrote:

> Using the 'airwaves' for profit is illegal, not the equipment.
>
> Rich - N5ZC
>
> On 8/3/2013 10:14 AM, K8RI wrote:
>
>> On 8/3/2013 9:17 AM, Mickey Baker wrote:
>>
>>> Where did anyone every get the idea that there shouldn't be profit in ham
>>> radio?
>>>

>> We are not talking about profit in ham radio, we are talking about profit
>> from using your station
>> We are talking about hams, or a group of hams making money from their
>> licensed station, not from selling their station or equipment.
>> When you sell the station,and a ham puts it on the air it receives a
>> license which is to a physical location.

I guess all those DXpedition shacks need to shut down, then.

I would regard that as a great pity.  DXing has to have people who aren't
stateside or who live at least part time in places few to no operators
live.  But, how do we get such operators?  Expeditions to Heard Island do
not spring out of nowhere.

Well, one way is for someone to put up an outstanding (or even
not-so-outstanding) station in some overseas location and. . .rent it out.
That way, people can start out DXpeditioning "on the cheap" (comparatively)
and just plain get experience without having to master it all, all at once.

This has been a cottage industry for years.  To my knowledge, nobody has
complained.  Nor should they.  And, having taken advantage of it, I'm
grateful that nobody (heretofore) cares to regulate it.

Moreover, I never heard of a regulation that restricted my license or my
rig to a "physical location".  County hunters, in fact, go mobile and
activate their calls all over the United States.  Are they mistaken?  Must
that cease, too?  Those rigs are certainly not tied to any physical
location.

I understand the disquiet about making money this way, but I'm having real
trouble distinguishing this from other activities hams have long done that,
up to now, have not been terribly controversial nor filled with cries of
"must be illegal".

There have been ads about rent-a-shacks not just over seas, but even in the
US, for years.  In QST, no less.

I, at least, would not want that practice (ordinary shack rental) to
cease.  But, I don't see why one is wrong and the other right.

Larry WO7R