[TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 08:49:47 -0700
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:14:24 -0400
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio

We are not talking about profit in ham radio, we are talking about
profit from using your station
We are talking about hams, or a group of hams making money from their
licensed station, not from selling their station or equipment.
When you sell the station,and a ham puts it on the air it receives a
license which is to a physical location.

If you let someone use the station they have to stick to the limitations
of their license and the station license. Used to be if station XX used
station YY its sign was XX/YY

##  Not in canada .  If my buddy uses my station, he uses MY callsign.
He is NOT allowed to use his callsign and sign portable VE7 either.

##  Folks pay who ever owns the local 2m FM repeater, whether its
a club or individual, for the right to use it.

  The "station" is licensed to an individual, or club at a specific
location and we are forbidden to make money from messages/contacts made
from that station regardless of who operates it.

It seems pretty straight forward and simple to me.

###  here is the difference.  Forbidden to make $$  means charging
folks to handle traffic for them.   IE:  pay me $50.00   and  I will get
emergency traffic messages  through to-from your aunt martha, who is
on a slowly sinking ship, or is on vacation is a war torn country, etc.

##  renting out your station, plus your callsign, who cares.   Subtle
difference.

##  remote operation. One fellow on AMPS just posted he had solid access
via internet, while flying at 32K feet up, across the usa in a 737.   He remote
accessed his own home station..and made contacts..while flying cross country!

##  I remember coming out of the bar with a couple of ham buddies at 1 AM, back
in the 70s.
We used a pay phone to phone another ham at home......who then asks us if we
would like
to run some ja-vk  via phone patch on VOX.  Running a pile up at a pay phone
out in the street, while  pissed up  was quite an experience... esp with
nothing to write with !

##  Ok, fast forward to 2013.  Go to local starbucks with your lap top  or
K3....and work some ja
on 15m.   No different than IRLP or echo link.

##  I got WAS in one weekend during the NOV  SS contest.   WAC in 3 days flat.
DXCC in one
weekend.

##  whats really bending the rules and cheating is using a remote internet RX
to make contacts on HF.
Im real tempted to install  RX beverages  for 160M  on my daughters  5
acres..just so I can hear better.

Jim   VE7RF

Although not Tower Talk specifically, I think this is a very important
and relevant topic because the important part is the giant antenna farm
(Usually) and it casts doubt on the very essence of contests and awards
earned. Yes we all get together and operate "someone's" station for
contests and it matters not if it's local or remote, but when we are
paying to make transmissions on that station?  What then?

I really like the idea of renting a vacation home, in the mountains, on
the beach, or on an island, where I can operate portable.  Does the
legality change if it already has antennas? antennas and a contest style
station?  The latter just went out of my price range

Thing is, as I see it we are at best in a gray area, renting a home or
cabin with a station and signing portable, or outside the regs when
renting a complete licensed station.  What if "someone" puts up a
monster station and never licenses it?  They are no longer renting out a
licensed ham station for money.  Just that tiny detail would make it
legal..."I think"

Anyone can build a ham station, complete with towers and antennas and
they do not need a license to do so, but they and the station need a
license to operate and any one could operate it "portable"?? That
violates the spirit of the regs, but not the regs?

73

Roger (K8RI)